Overcoming Vision Problems with Specialized Rehabilitation
When injury, disease, or age-related changes alter vision — or even cause permanent visual loss — adjusting to new circumstances is typically very difficult. However, a therapist trained in low-vision rehabilitation can make all the difference in coping with the challenges brought on by that kind of new situation.
- Modification of activities and the home environment;
- Instruction in how to maximize the use of any remaining vision;
- Training in the use of assistive devices and visual aides;
- Reading and handwriting training through therapeutic exercises and activities;
- Information on support groups and low-vision resources in the patient’s community.